Moving Tips » Preparing For Your Move
Preparing For Your Move
- Have a clean out - sell or dispose of unwanted items - the less to move the easier.
- If you are doing your own packing, gather together packing materials - tape, boxes, bubble wrap, paper and marker pens - and start packing, it’s never too soon!
- Pick up a change of address kit from NZ Post.
- Notify the utilities - power, phone, gas.
- Advise your doctor, dentist and other medical providers.
- If you have children then notify their schools, day-care or other care providers.
- Contact your bank - do you need to change branches?
- Notify your insurance company.
- If you have animals then consider what you will do with them on moving day and how they will be transported.
One Week to Go …
- Have a final clean out - use up or dispose of any food, medicines or cleaning materials that do not need to be taken with you.
- Empty any gas bottles and drain all fuel from lawnmowers and other machinery.-Finalise power, phone, and gas for the new address.
- If required then confirm details with your care providers for your children or pets for moving day.
- If purchasing a new property then contact your lawyer and confirm settlement arrangements are in place to avoid any unnecessary delays.
- If you have a shared driveway let your neighbours know what day the removal truck is coming.
- Set aside any personal or important items that are not to go into the removal truck.
On The Day …
- Move any vehicles so there is clear driveway access for the removal truck.
- Do a final meter reading for power / gas / water.
- Leave a forwarding address for the new residents to forward mail to.
- Empty the fridge and freezer.
- Disconnect the washing machine.
- Make sure the dishwasher is emptied.
- Check all rooms, wardrobes and cupboards to make sure nothing is forgotten.
- Check that all lights are off and all windows and doors are locked before you leave.
- If required, hand over the keys to the house.