Moving Tips » Packing
- Do not use boxes that are too large to lift.
- Do not overfill boxes - the top of the box should be flat.
- Place heavy items at the bottom, lighter items on top.
- Pack heavy items such as books into smaller boxes.
- Clearly label all boxes as fragile that contain such items.
- Label all boxes as to which room they belong in.
- Try to place all the boxes together in the same room near the loading point.
- Keep all access ways and doorways clear - do not stack boxes or place furniture in the way.
- Pack glasses upright and plates on their edge - do not lay flat.
- Remove and wrap the glass plate from the microwave.
- Pictures, mirrors or plate glass can be slipped into flattened boxes or wrapped in blankets.
- Any containers of food or liquids should be packed upright and labelled ‘This Way Up’.
- Clothes can be left in drawers but please remove any breakables or liquids.
- Aerosols, paints, oils, lighters, matches or other flammable materials should never be packed together.
- Lawn-mowers, weed-eaters and other machinery must be drained of fuel.
- Remove batteries from toys and remote controls if they are going into storage.
- Whenever possible dismantle bed-frames, cots and desks for transport.
- Keep personal and important items such as passports, money, documentation and medication separate so they are easy to locate should they be needed.